Since completing his degree in music at Melbourne University in 1993, Rod has enjoyed a career that has covered a wide spectrum of musical endeavours. He has worked as a composer, arranger, producer, performer (on keyboards, trumpet and french horn), music director and educator for over 20 years.
Career highlights include:
- 4 years as author and composer with Learn To Play Music/Koala Publishing
- 3 years as music director of the Melbourne University School of Music Big Band
- 9 years as Lecturer in Music at Salisbury TAFE
- 7 years as music director with the Uniting Church in South Australia
- 10 years as co-music director, arranger and keyboard player for Paradise Carols by Candlelight, which attracted crowds of over 20,000 people
He has performed on keyboards with national recording artists Guy Sebastian, David Campbell, Paulini Curuenavuli, David Hobson, Amity Dry, John "Swanee" Swan, Emily Williams, Lisa Edwards, Naomi Eyers, Jayne-Anne Power, Trace Canini and Andy Seymour. Rod has performed with many high profile Adelaide bands, including Supernova, "The Roots" Jill Scott Tribute show featuring Charmaine Jones, the amazing "Gospo" Gospel music ensemble, and the Michael Buble Tribute show, "Sway".
Rod has composed and arranged an extensive portfolio of music for a wide variety of ensembles, including rock band, big band, concert band, brass quartet and orchestra. He has orchestrated and played on nationally aired advertising jingles for Bakers Delight and the Clipsal 500, and won advertising industry awards from the Adelaide Art Directors Club. His horn section arrangements can be heard on the internationally released albums of Unitopia, Paradise Community Church, and Southside Christian Centre.